Rear door - Removing panel
Here's a quick guide on how to remove the rear door panel.
1. Remove the seven torx screws from around the edge of the door. If in doubt, ask a cat to help you locate them.
2. Pop out the plastic holder for the electric window switch and remove the connector. Also disconnect the speaker (tweeter)
3. Remove the crosshead screw from under the door handle. When re-assembling, put this in first so you can easily retrieve it if you drop it!
4. Pull the trim away from the door handle - this can be hard to remove but just keep gently pulling perpendicular to the door and wiggling it until it works loose
5. Remove the big screws from each end of the door handle
6. Optional - shout at the cat to get out of the car
7. The door panel should now be loose, held in only at the top
8. As you can see from this picture the top of the door is a U shape. This sits in a groove under the window. Push the top part of the door upward to get it out of the groove. Mine was pretty well settled in and I had to reach up underneath and push upwards at the top to avoid damaging the door. I found that opening the window made it a little easier.
9. Once you have it loose you can reach behind and disconnect the wire for the door handle. When you put the door back together it's important to connect the hook to the handle and clip the collar into the plastic clip. If the door handle flaps about and doesn't work, the collar is not clipped in.
Here's the door in its naked glory!!
Re-assembly is pretty straightforward!
10. Optional final step - check you have the correct number of cats outside the car before going to get yourself a well-earned cuppa.